Hello, and welcome to our website!

Just a heads-up, we're close to rolling out a shiny new website and we've had to make some changes which may affect the way our current course information is displayed. If you have any questions, please get in touch.


Student Money

Most students have some financial concerns when coming to college. Information on course fees and funding available, for government funded full-time and part-time courses, is below.

Studying a Degree/ Higher Education course? Go to our dedicated HE Student Money pages.

New Piggy Bank Guide - a practical guide & website for the local community, including advice on moving home, managing money and avoiding debt.

Students aged 16-18

There are no tuition, registration or exam fees for full-time courses and apprenticeships if you are aged between 16 and 18. You may be charged fees for examinations if your attendance falls below 85% or your work has not been completed, or you do not turn up for an examination for which you have been entered, or you are a taking a resit exam.

Financial Support is available to help cover the costs of coming to College, for example, transport, equipment and trips. See below 'Bursary Fund' information. 

Students aged 19+

Students aged 19+ may have to pay course fees although this depends on your circumstances. Course costs are detailed on the individual course information pages. Please contact Student Services to discuss: enquiries@kendal.ac.uk / 01539 814700.

The following is available:

If you are 19-23, and studying the first level of qualification, you may be able to get the course for free.

If you are aged 19 and over, studying a qualification up to and including level 2, and earn less than £15,736.50 annual gross salary or £8.07 per hour, funding is available to cover the course fees of government-funded courses. Please complete the declaration form below.

There is financial support available for students who are unemployed and/or living in a low-income household or in financial hardship to help cover the costs of College e.g. course fees, transport and childcare. See below 'Learner Support Fund' information.

An Advanced Learner Loan is available to students studying a Level 3 or 4 course. It is easy to apply for, doesn’t involve a credit check and you don’t have to pay it back until you’ve finished your course and are earning over £25,000 a year. If you are completing an Access programme, Student Finance England will ‘write off’ your loan once you complete a higher education course. This means you don’t have to repay it.

Payments can be made via cash, cards and cheques (made payable to Kendal College). If the course fees are more than £200 and the course runs for 15 weeks or more, you can pay by instalments. The direct debit forms are below. If your employer is paying, a representative of the company (who has the authority to agree to pay your fees) needs to send a confirmation email to enrolments@kendal.ac.uk

Fees Policy & Forms

Fees Policy 2018/19

Direct Debit Form - 1 instalment

Direct Debit Form - 2 instalments

Direct Debit Form - Fees over £1,000

Direct Debit Important Information

Declaration Form

Government Funds – to help you access College

For Further Education (level 1-4) students, excluding apprenticeships

The College administers the following government funding which is public money:

  • Bursary Fund – for 16-18 year olds
  • Learner Support Fund – for 19+ students
  • 19+ Advanced Learning Loans Bursary Fund – for students who have applied for a 19+ Loan
  • Residential Support Scheme

You may be able to receive money from the above funds for things like transport, childcare, fees, equipment, lunch and trips.

Am I eligible?
If annual income is less than £30,000 (if two adults in a household) or £25,000 (if one adult) you may be eligible for support. If your income is higher than this but you are in particular hardship, please get in touch as we can take individual circumstances into account. We ask you to complete an application form and provide evidence such as wage slips, benefit statements, bank statements etc, which must be dated from July 2018 onwards. This assistance is conditional on your attendance being over 85%.

A bursary of up to £1,200 may also be available if you are under 19 and are a young person in care, a care leaver, in receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit or in receipt of Employment Support Allowance or Universal Credit and in receipt of Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments.

Residential Support Scheme (RSS)
RSS is designed to provide financial help with residential costs (e.g. rent) for eligible students living away from home because their full-time Level 2 or Level 3 qualification is not available locally. Students must have a household income of £30,993 or less in the previous tax year. For more information, please contact Student Services.

Childcare support is available to young parents and adults. If you are under 20, the Care to Learn scheme pays a maximum of £160 per child per week, supporting young parents to access education. Please contact Student Services for information. If you are 20+ the Learner Support Fund can support adults with childcare costs. Please complete the application form below.

Application Form

Application Form 2018-19

Guidance Notes 2018-19

Childcare Form 2018-19 (20+ students)

We are open throughout the summer months to support the completion of forms and answer any questions you may have.

If you do not have access to a printer, we are aiming to have an online application form ready for the 10th August. Alternatively, please contact us and we can post a form to you.


The College supports the costs of transport through:

  • Negotiating the best deals for students with local bus companies.
  • Subsidising the cost of transport to reduce the cost for full-time students.
  • Providing additional support through the Bursary Fund, Learner Support Fund & 19+ Loan Bursary Fund.

For more information on transport to College click here.