Wine, Level 1 Award
- Call Student Services on 01539 814700 for information.
- 18:00 - 21:00
This course is designed to provide an introduction to wine and give you an understanding of some of the factors affecting styles of wine, service and matching it to food.
What will I learn?
During the course you will learn how to:
- Describe in general terms the main styles of wines available
- Display a basic understanding of the factors that determine the main styles of wine
- Describe in general terms the main characteristics of the principal grape varieties
- Describe the procedures for the storage and preparation of wine for service
- Describe the procedures for the bar and table service of wine
- Display an understanding of legal and social responsibilities of staff serving wine
- Produce simple tasting notes using the Level 1 WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Offer basic food and wine matching advice
Your learning will mainly take the form of workshop planning sessions linked to practical work.
How will I be assessed?
You will complete one multiple-choice exam taken in a maximum time of 45 minutes.
The course is useful as a career enhancement within industry. The knowledge gained will give confidence when dealing with customers and lead to the Certificate in Wines, Spirits & Other Alcoholic Beverages.
You must be over 18 years of age and have an interest in Wines, Spirits & Liqueurs and a desire to increase your knowledge. The course is intended for those who are employed in areas such as Restaurants, Hotels, Off-Licences or Wine Stores.
Please note: If you are an adult student you may be entitled to financial support to cover the cost of your course, dependent on your circumstances. Please contact Student Services on email@example.com for details. More about Student Finance.
Enquire about Wine, Level 1 Award
Also in Hospitality and Catering
- → Food Preparation & Cooking (Patisserie & Confectionery), Level 3 NVQ Diploma
- → Professional Cookery (Preparation and Cooking), NVQ Level 3 Diploma
- → Hospitality Supervision and Leadership, (NVQ) Level 3 Diploma
- → Wine and Spirits, Level 2 Award
- → Cake Decoration