Wine and Spirits, Level 2 Award
- Call Student Services on 01539 814700 for information.
- 18:00 - 21:00
The WSET Certificate in Wines, Spirits & Other Alcoholic Beverages is a recognised qualification around the globe that will give you a solid grounding in wine tasting, enable you to focus on the key grape varieties and regions of the world, and explore the principle varieties of spirits.
This course runs on Tuesdays 6-9pm. It runs for one day per week for 7 weeks.
What will I learn?
You will be taught the basic principles of:
- How to taste wine.
- Food and wine matching and how this is affected by cooking.
- Factors affecting wine production.
- How and why different grape varieties are affected in terms of style and quality depending on where they are from.
- How distillation and spirit production affects the different styles that are produced.
From completing this it will give you a comprehensive overview of wine and spirits and the different styles that exist and how they are produced.
How will I be assessed?
You will complete one multiple choice exam taken in a maximum time of 1 hour that will consist of 50 multiple choice questions.
The opportunities from completing this course are varied, and include progression within the hospitality industry, where you may use it towards becoming a sommelier or it could be used as a tool for enhancing staff/ own knowledge and increasing sales. Other areas to use this qualification are within the pub trade - for landlords who want to improve knowledge and/or upgrade their wines and increase sales. Other students may have a keen general interest in wine and want to improve their own knowledge for home use.
You must be over 18 years of age and have an interest in Wines, Spirits & Liqueurs and a desire to increase your knowledge. The course is intended for those who are employed in areas such as Restaurants, Hotels, Off - Licences or Wine Stores or just want to improve their knowledge.
Please note: If you are an adult student you may be entitled to financial support to cover the cost of your course, dependent on your circumstances. Please contact Student Services on firstname.lastname@example.org for details. More about Student Finance.
Enquire about Wine and Spirits, Level 2 Award
Also in Hospitality and Catering
- → Food Preparation & Cooking (Patisserie & Confectionery), Level 3 NVQ Diploma
- → Professional Cookery (Preparation and Cooking), NVQ Level 3 Diploma
- → Hospitality Supervision and Leadership, (NVQ) Level 3 Diploma
- → Cake Decoration
- → Food Safety for Catering (CIEH), Level 2 Award