Science and Hygiene behind Sous Vide
- Call Student Services on 01539 814700 for information.
NB: The dates for this course are TBC - please contact us for information.
Many people know how to cook with sous vide technology but are unaware of the science behind it.
This course will enable you to understand how bacteria work, to understand and develop control methods for sous vide, and to understand protein, muscle tissue, connective tissue and fat.
You will produce a comprehensive list of cooking times for main ingredients as well as calculating times. You will understand how density affects cooking and will be able to develop your own bespoke sous vide journal with chart and HACCP points, to better enable you to positively respond to hygiene and quality issues.
What will I learn?
By the end of the course you will be able to produce your own waterbath tracking system and:
- Understand how bacteria works
- Understand the control methods for sous vide
- Understand protein, muscle tissue, connective tissue and fat
- To be able to prepare products for sous vide
- Produce comprehensive lists of cooking times of main ingredients and calculating times
- Produce density tables
- Update hygiene awareness and identify issues associated with batch cookery and hygiene
- Practical handouts on the do’s and don’ts
How will I be assessed?
There are no assessments.
This course will further your professional development.
You will need to discuss the course with the tutor prior to enrolment.
Please note: If you are an adult student you may be entitled to financial support to cover the cost of your course, dependent on your circumstances. Please contact Student Services on email@example.com for details. Fees will be confirmed in the Spring Term. More about Student Finance.
Enquire about Science and Hygiene behind Sous Vide
Also in Hospitality and Catering
- → Food Preparation & Cooking (Patisserie & Confectionery), Level 3 NVQ Diploma
- → Professional Cookery (Preparation and Cooking), NVQ Level 3 Diploma
- → Hospitality Supervision and Leadership, (NVQ) Level 3 Diploma
- → Wine and Spirits, Level 2 Award
- → Cake Decoration