Professional Cookery (Preparation and Cooking), NVQ Level 3 Diploma
- Call Student Services on 01539 814700 for information.
- 14:00 - 21:30
To achieve this qualification you will study a range of units.
Below is an example;
- Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food.
- Maintain the health, hygiene, safety and security of the working environment.
- Develop productive working relationships with colleagues.
- Prepare complex fish dishes using water baths, conventional cooking styles and butter bathing for example.
- Prepare complex meat dishes, using various cuts and presenting them in both classical and modern styles.
- Prepare, cook and finish complex cakes, sponges, biscuits and scones.
- Contribute to the development of recipes and menus.
- Ensure food safety practices are followed in the preparation and serving of food and drink.
What will I learn?
Your learning will be through a combination of workshops, plenary sessions and individual work. For examples of units you will cover see the ‘overview’ section.
How will I be assessed?
Continuous assessment of practical work.
There are no formal exams.
A portfolio of evidence will be created and maintained. Your tutor will put together an assessment plan with you and agree when, where and how you will be assessed and what sorts of evidence you can collect for your portfolio.
When you have successfully completed this course, you could develop your culinary skills further, perhaps to become a specialist chef or move into a management role. The HND or HNC in Hospitality might also be of interest.
This course is ideal if you’ve worked in a professional kitchen for some time, or have a Level 2 qualification. You may want to develop your skills further, perhaps to become a specialist chef or move into a management role.
This nationally recognised qualification is gained in the workplace so you also need to be currently working in the industry.
All students interested in this course should contact the course tutor, Richard Axford, prior to enrolment:
Please note: If you are an adult student you may be entitled to financial support to cover the cost of your course, dependent on your circumstances. Please contact Student Services on firstname.lastname@example.org for details. More about Student Finance.
Enquire about Professional Cookery (Preparation and Cooking), NVQ Level 3 Diploma
Also in Hospitality and Catering
- → Food Preparation & Cooking (Patisserie & Confectionery), Level 3 NVQ Diploma
- → Hospitality Supervision and Leadership, (NVQ) Level 3 Diploma
- → Wine and Spirits, Level 2 Award
- → Cake Decoration
- → Food Safety for Catering (CIEH), Level 2 Award