Instructing Exercise and Fitness, Level 3 Apprenticeship
The Government has set a target of achieving 70% of the population participating in sport and physical activity. This apprenticeship will provide individuals with the skills to help the nation achieve a healthier lifestyle.
The opportunities in Active Leisure Apprenticeships are very broad and are primarily designed for those working as or wanting to work as a personal trainer in the exercise and fitness industry, in a wide range of potential venues and facilities.
Exercise and Fitness is a massive growth area in the UK, with government drives towards reducing obesity and improving the nation’s health. This qualification develops your competency skills to work as a Personal trainer with a NVQ Diploma in Personal Training - and qualify for the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPS).
The advanced apprenticeship will prepare learners for more responsible roles at work and will develop your communication, organisation and planning skills.
What will I learn?
Apprenticeships allow you to gain qualifications whilst working. You will work, usually about 30 hours per week, and be assessed in the workplace.
As part of the Advanced Apprenticeship, you will complete the Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Personal Training. This includes the following 9 units:
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise and health
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health
- Promote health, safety and welfare in active leisure and recreation
- Motivate clients to maintain long term adherence to exercise and physical activity
- Reflect on and develop own practice in providing exercise and physical activity
- Evaluate exercise and physical activity programmes
- Design, manage and adapt a personal training programme with clients
- Deliver exercise and physical activity as part of a personal training programme
- Apply the principles of nutrition to support client goals as part of an exercise and physical activity programme.
In this apprenticeship, you will also develop your knowledge and understanding of the theory underpinning personal training through the following Technical Certificates:
Level 3 Award in Employment Awareness in Active Leisure & Learning
Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training
Based on previous qualifications, apprentices also work towards the Functional Skills of Communication and Application of Number at the appropriate level.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed in the workplace. You will build a portfolio of evidence gathered from working with real equipment, facilities and customers, as part of your day to day employment.
As part of the apprenticeship framework, reviews are completed every 12 weeks by the assessor where progress is discussed by the apprentice, assessor and employer.
The advanced apprenticeship will prepare learners for more responsible roles at work. This course will develop your communication, organisation and planning skills. Some examples of the opportunities include a senior fitness instructor, personal trainer or manager of a leisure club. Completion of the Advanced Apprenticeship can also lead to higher education opportunities.
You must have completed a Level 2 Certificate or Apprenticeship in Fitness Instructing (gym based exercise) prior to enrolling on this course. You will need to be working usually at least 30 hours per week at an appropriate level within an exercise and fitness environment (if you are looking for employment see below for information).
Potential apprentices should have a positive, motivating, can do attitude and be willing to work both as part of a team or on their own. They should be motivated to succeed in the health and fitness industry and be willing to work shifts, sometimes unsociable hours and travel between sites. Potential apprentices are expected to have the skills to work with and motivate a variety of different clients they will work with. Apprentices might also need to undergo police checks for example when working with vulnerable adults and children.
Looking for Employment? See below for what to do next…
- Apply for this apprenticeship. We can then support you to find employment and prepare your job application.
- Register your details with the National Apprenticeship Matching Service (NAS) and search online for vacancies at www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship
- Check the College’s website page regularly (sometimes employers only want to recruit locally and so they advertise on our website and not the NAS website): www.kendal.ac.uk/apprenticeships/apprentice/
- Make sure your CV is up to date and is relevant to the job industry you are applying to.
Please note: If you are an adult student you may be entitled to financial support to cover the cost of your course, dependent on your circumstances. Please contact Student Services on email@example.com for details. More about Student Finance.
Apply for Instructing Exercise and Fitness, Level 3 Apprenticeship
Also in Sport and Outdoor Adventure
- → Sport, Level 2
- → Sport - Outdoor Adventure, Level 3
- → Sport (Development, Coaching and Fitness), Level 3
- → Instructing Exercise and Fitness, Level 2 Apprenticeship
- → Outdoor: Activity Leadership, Level 2 Apprenticeship