Instructing Exercise and Fitness, Level 2 Apprenticeship
There are over 7 million participants in the fitness industry; therefore there is a clear need for every employee to be knowledgeable and competent in the health and fitness industry. The opportunities in Active Leisure Apprenticeships are very broad and are primarily designed for those working as or wanting to work as fitness instructors.
This is a competency-based qualification that has been designed to prepare you for a career in the health and fitness leisure industry as a gym-based fitness instructor.
You will develop the skills and knowledge needed to plan and instruct gym-based exercise for a variety of individuals. In addition you will be equipped to offer support to clients who take part in exercise and physical activity and be able to reflect on and develop your own practice.
The Apprenticeship will equip you with skills and qualifications in areas such as anatomy and physiology for exercise, evaluation of exercise, and how to develop your own practice in providing exercise and physical activity.
What will I learn?
This qualification will provide you with the skills to become a competent instructor in the health and fitness industry. Apprentices need to be able to communicate with a broad range of people in order to motivate and instruct them.
As part of your Apprenticeship, you will complete the following five units:
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health
- Promote health, safety and welfare in active leisure and recreation
- Work with clients to help them adhere to exercise and physical activity
- Reflect on and develop own practice in providing exercise and physical activity
You will also complete two specialist gym-based units:
- Plan and prepare gym-based exercise
- Instruct and supervise gym-based exercise
In this apprenticeship, you will also develop your knowledge and understanding of the theory underpinning fitness instructing through the Technical Certificates:
- Level 2 Award in Employment Awareness in Active Leisure & Learning
- Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (gym based exercise)
Based on previous qualifications, apprentices also work towards the Functional Skills of Communication and Application of Number at the appropriate level.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed in the workplace. You will build a portfolio of evidence gathered from working with real equipment, facilities and customers, as part of your day to day employment.
The evidence required to achieve this qualification will be gathered from working with real equipment, facilities and customers as part of temporary or permanent employment. Throughout this qualification you will develop your knowledge and understanding of the theory underpinning instructing gym-based exercise, fitness and health, anatomy and physiology and health, safety and welfare in the fitness environment.
As part of the apprenticeship framework, reviews are completed every 12 weeks by the assessor where progress is discussed by the apprentice, assessor and employer.
Successful completion of this course will allow you to work unsupervised as a fitness instructor teaching gym-based exercise in the sport and active leisure industry.
For Level 2, you should ideally have four GCSEs at grade A*-D, including English.
You must be employed for a minimum of 30 hours a week in the professional area that your Apprenticeship is in. Looking for Employment? See below for what to do next…
- Apply for this apprenticeship. We can then support you to find employment and prepare your job application.
- Register your details with the National Apprenticeship Matching Service (NAS) and search online for vacancies at www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship
- Check the College’s website page regularly (sometimes employers only want to recruit locally and so they advertise on our website and not the NAS website): www.kendal.ac.uk/apprenticeships/apprentice/
- Make sure your CV is up to date and is relevant to the job industry you are applying to.
Apply for Instructing Exercise and Fitness, Level 2 Apprenticeship
Also in Sport & Outdoor Adventure
- → Sport, Level 2
- → Sport - Outdoor Adventure, Level 3
- → Sport (Development, Coaching and Fitness), Level 3
- → Instructing Exercise and Fitness, Level 3 Apprenticeship
- → Outdoor: Activity Leadership, Level 2 Apprenticeship