Bricklaying (Construction), Level 2
- Course start date:
- 04 Sep 2017
- Course end date:
- 29 Jun 2018
The course will involve you working in our workshop with industry standard equipment - a true reflection of a real working environment.
You will be in college for 3 days per week.
The course will cover all of the theory of the trade as well as the skills needed to eventually become a skilled bricklayer/ mason.
You will develop your practical, team working and communication skills and increase your health and safety awareness.
Workshops are delivered as a group and on a 1:1 basis, and the teaching staff have many years experience in the industry.
The department organises a variety of trips throughout the year, e.g. visiting a working Quarry and Brickworks to see what materials are used in the trade and to allow students to see the manufacturing processes.
Students also have the opportunity to compete in WorldSkills - our students have won medals in these competitions for the last 2 years!
All of our learners will be given support with their English and Maths skills where relevant to their main programme. Those students who have not yet achieved a ‘C’ grade at GCSE in these subjects will continue to work towards these important qualifications at a level suited to them.
This course will be part of a wider study programme, which may also include english & maths, work placement and additional studies.
What will I learn?
During the level 2 course you will study:
- Health, safety and welfare in construction and associated industries
- Understanding information, quantities and communication with others
- Understanding construction technology
- Setting out masonry structures
- Construct solid walling incorporating isolated and attached piers
- Construct cavity walling forming masonry structures
- Construct masonry cladding
There is also an apprenticeship route available.
How will I be assessed?
Assessments include online theory exams on completion of each unit (every 6 weeks).
Practical modules are also assessed.
Practical - 65% Theory - 35%.
After completion of this course, you could progress to a Level 3 full-time course or gain an apprenticeship. For example, in recent years, Russell Armer, a major local employer, has offered our students apprenticeships after completion of this course. Martin Cannon, a building contractor, has also offered our students employment.
For Level 2 entry you will need to have completed a Level 1 qualification in brickwork/ craft masonry at Merit or Distinction.
You may also be required to take a short practical and theory assessment to establish your suitability for the course.
Please note: If you are an adult student you may be entitled to financial support to cover the cost of your course, dependent on your circumstances. Please contact Student Services on email@example.com for details. More about Student Finance.
Apply for Bricklaying (Construction), Level 2
Also in Construction
- → Construction and the Built Environment, Level 3 Diploma
- → Furniture Design & Making, Level 3 Diploma
- → In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment (PAT), Level 3 Award
- → Periodic Inspection Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations, Level 3 Award
- → Requirements for Electrical Installation BS7671:June 2008 (2011) (QCF), Level 3 Award