Beauty Therapy, Level 3 Apprenticeship
- Course end date:
- 03 Aug 2019
Apprenticeships allow you to gain qualifications whilst working - you will normally study one day per week in college and spend the rest of the week at work, usually at least 30 hours per week. They are available at two levels, the Intermediate and the Advanced Apprenticeship.
You will be encouraged to develop a professional attitude by working on your skills in communication/interpersonal skills, personal appearance and social behaviour. The apprenticeship will give you the opportunity to achieve nationally recognised qualifications whilst progressing your career in a hair or beauty salon and earning a wage.
If you are creative, like working with people and have lots of ambition, beauty therapy could be your pathway to success. Never have there been so many exciting possibilities at the cutting edge of the fashion, style and grooming business.
Successful beauty therapists can take their pick from many top jobs - working in top salons in the UK or on magazines or photoshoots in the fashion media. With UK beauty therapy regarded as the best in the world, there is plenty of opportunity to use your skills internationally, whilst holistic therapy can propel you into a career in spas, health farms and clinics or cruise ships.
You will be following the Hairdressing and Beauty Industrial Authority’s Framework for the Apprenticeship, which includes NVQ Diploma Level 2 or 3 and Key Skills. You will be encouraged to develop a professional attitude by working on your skills in communication/ interpersonal skills, personal appearance and social behaviour.
What will I learn?
Beauty Therapy NVQ Diploma level 3 Units include:
- Monitor procedures to safely control work operations
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of promotional activities
- Provide facial electrical treatments
- Provide body massage treatments
- Contribute to the financial effectiveness of the business
- Provide Indian Head Massage
- Carry out massage using pre-blended aromatherapy oils
- Provide stone therapy treatments
- Anatomy and Physiology
Students also get involved in shows and competition work.
How will I be assessed?
The majority of the qualification is completed through practical assessments. These can be college based as part of your timetable or completed in the work place with your assessor.
As part of the apprenticeship framework, reviews are completed every 12 weeks by the assessor where progress is discussed by the apprentice, assessor and employer.
Recognition of your qualifications by employers can lead to rapid career development in the workplace or progression on to higher levels of study.
At Level 3, you should have five GCSEs at grade A*-C, including English.
You should also be working 30 hours per week (if you are looking for employment see below for information). For the Advanced Apprenticeship you should have completed the Apprenticeship or an equivalent qualification. Please speak to the course tutor for guidance.
This Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy industry has high client expectations and relies on repeat business so importance is given to:
- Appropriate personal presentation including clothing, hair and personal hygiene.
- Practical, organisational and social skills.
- Attention to detail and cleanliness.
- A good sense of humour/amicable nature and communication skills whether dealing face to face with clients or speaking on the telephone.
- Willingness to work flexible hours/days as agreed in the employment contract.
- A high degree of dexterity and coordination.
Looking for Employment? See below for what to do next…
- Apply for this apprenticeship. We can then support you to find employment and prepare your job application.
- Register your details with the National Apprenticeship Matching Service (NAS) and search online for vacancies at www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship
- Check the College’s website page regularly (sometimes employers only want to recruit locally and so they advertise on our website and not the NAS website): www.kendal.ac.uk/apprenticeships/apprentice/
- Make sure your CV is up to date and is relevant to the job industry you are applying to.
- Contact local businesses and see if they have any vacancies available.
Please note: If you are an adult student you may be entitled to financial support to cover the cost of your course, dependent on your circumstances. Please contact Student Services on firstname.lastname@example.org for details. Fees will be confirmed in the Spring Term. More about Student Finance.
Apply for Beauty Therapy, Level 3 Apprenticeship
Also in Hairdressing, Beauty and Integrated Therapies
- → Barbering, Level 2 Certificate
- → Barbering, Level 2 NVQ Diploma
- → Barbering, Level 3 Diploma
- → Hairdressing, Level 2 Certificate
- → Hairdressing, Level 2 NVQ