Beauty Therapy, Level 2 Apprenticeship
Apprenticeships allow you to gain qualifications whilst working - you will normally study one day per week in college and spend the rest of the week at work, usually at least 30 hours per week. They are available at two levels, the Intermediate (Level 2) and the Advanced (Level 3) Apprenticeship.
You will be encouraged to develop a professional attitude by working on your skills in communication/interpersonal skills, personal appearance and social behaviour. The apprenticeship will give you the opportunity to achieve nationally recognised qualifications whilst progressing your career in a hair or beauty salon and earning a wage.
If you are creative, like working with people and have lots of ambition, beauty therapy could be your pathway to success. Never have there been so many exciting possibilities at the cutting edge of the fashion, style and grooming business.
Successful beauty therapists can take their pick from many top jobs - working in top salons in the UK or on magazines or photoshoots in the fashion media. With UK beauty therapy regarded as the best in the world, there is plenty of opportunity to use your skills internationally, whilst holistic therapy can propel you into a career in spas, health farms and clinics or cruise ships.
You will be following the Hairdressing and Beauty Industrial Authority’s Framework for the Apprenticeship, which includes NVQ Diploma Level 2 or 3 and Functional skills. You will be encouraged to develop a professional attitude by working on your skills in communication/ interpersonal skills and personal appearance.
What will I learn?
To achieve the Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy, candidates must complete both mandatory and optional units, which include:
- Promote additional services or products to
- Develop and maintain your effectiveness at work
- Improve and maintain facial skin condition
- Provide eyelash and eyebrow treatments
- Remove hair using waxing techniques
- Provide manicure treatments
- Provide pedicure treatments
- Provide makeup treatments
Students also get involved in shows and competition work.
How will I be assessed?
The majority of the qualification is completed through practical assessments. These can be college based as part of your timetable or completed in the work place with your assessor.
As part of the apprenticeship framework, reviews are completed every 12 weeks by the assessor where progress is discussed by the apprentice, assessor and employer.
Completion of the Apprenticeship can lead to the Advanced Apprenticeship. Recognition of your qualifications by employers can lead to rapid career development in the workplace or progression onto higher levels of study.
For Level 2, you should have four GCSEs at grade A*-D, including English.
You should also be working 30 hours per week (if you are looking for employment see below for information).
This Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy industry has high client expectations and relies on repeat business so importance is given to:
- Appropriate personal presentation including clothing, hair and personal hygiene.
- Practical, organisational and social skills.
- Attention to detail and cleanliness.
- A good sense of humour/amicable nature and communication skills whether dealing face to face with clients or speaking on the telephone.
- Willingness to work flexible hours/days as agreed in the employment contract.
- A high degree of dexterity and coordination.
Looking for Employment? See below for what to do next…
- Apply for this apprenticeship. We can then support you to find employment and prepare your job application.
- Register your details with the National Apprenticeship Matching Service (NAS) and search online for vacancies at www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship
- Check the College’s website page regularly (sometimes employers only want to recruit locally and so they advertise on our website and not the NAS website): www.kendal.ac.uk/apprenticeships/apprentice/
- Make sure your CV is up to date and is relevant to the job industry you are applying to.
- Contact local businesses and see if they have any vacancies available.
Apply for Beauty Therapy, Level 2 Apprenticeship
Also in Hairdressing, Beauty and Integrated Therapies
- → Hairdressing, Level 2
- → Hairdressing, Level 3
- → Hairdressing, Level 2 Apprenticeship
- → Hairdressing, Level 3 Apprenticeship
- → Beauty Therapy, Level 2