Bakery Diploma, Level 2
- Courses starting September. Call 01539 814700 for details.
- Course end date:
- 31 Jul 2018
This course will appeal to those who are serious about a career within the patisserie or bakery sector.
The course will compromise of mainly practical aspects in both the bakery and patisserie kitchen with some theory. Work experience, directed study and on-line learning will also be given.
This course is designed for anyone wishing to :-
- Gain more knowledge and understanding about the ingredients used in bakery
- Know the processes involved and develop new skills and techniques
- Develop new ideas for innovate bakery products
- Develop effective working practices
This course will be part of a wider study programme, which may also include english & maths, work placement and additional studies.
What will I learn?
The course will combine the practical work with the understanding of how ingredients work together, and how to rectify products that go wrong.
You will learn the importance of weighing and measuring accurately and bake a wide range of goods including:-
- Pastry - sweet pastry, chou pastry, short crust pastry, puff pastry
- Cakes and sponges - Swiss Rolls, Chocolate cake , and cup cakes
- Chemically aerated goods - Scones and soda bread
- Fermented goods - Flavoured breads, enriched doughs like ice fingers Chelsea Buns
- Biscuits - Shortbreads, Viennese, and Sable
- Use a range of finishing materials to complete the products
- Knowledge of the source of raw ingredient’s used in bakery, Flour, eggs, sugars and starches, and all the various methods of baking
To complement the practical aspects of the course you will learn how to :-
- Store and maintain ingredients
- Food safety in the Bakery
- Packing of bakery ingredients
- Maintaining product quality
- How to work effectively with others
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through a mix of written assignments, practical exercises and in class tests. There are no formal examinations on this programme.
Theoretical aspects of the course will mainly be assessed through assignments and short answer questions which are internally marked. Individual practice tests will take place throughout the course.
After successfully completing this course, you could progress onto the full-time Level 3 course or a Level 3 apprenticeship.
The Level 3 course is also a hands on practical course, working to develop a new product and will concentrate on all aspects of the management of the bakery and the production schedules, HACCAP and effective team work.
This qualification will enable you to apply for positions in first class establishments with the knowledge that the qualification will enhance your job prospects.
Four GCSEs Grade 3 or above (GCSE D).
Please note: If you are an adult student you may be entitled to financial support to cover the cost of your course, dependent on your circumstances. Please contact Student Services on email@example.com for details. Fees will be confirmed in the Spring Term. More about Student Finance.
Apply for Bakery Diploma, Level 2
Also in Hospitality and Catering
- → Food Preparation & Cooking (Patisserie & Confectionery), Level 3 NVQ Diploma
- → Professional Cookery (Preparation and Cooking), NVQ Level 3 Diploma
- → Hospitality Supervision and Leadership, (NVQ) Level 3 Diploma
- → Wine and Spirits, Level 2 Award
- → Cake Decoration