Hello, and welcome to our website!

Just a heads-up, we're close to rolling out a shiny new website and we've had to make some changes which may affect the way our current course information is displayed. If you have any questions, please get in touch.


Frequently Asked Questions

Read the answers to our most frequently asked questions. If you have a question about any aspect of Kendal College that isn't answered here, please get in touch using our contact page.

What Transport is available to get to College?

We are committed to providing discounted travel to students where possible. Discounted travel is achieved through negotiations with bus service providers and direct college contributions to transport costs, thus reducing the cost for students. There are a number of transport options available to students. College annual bus passes are available to full-time students and give Monday-Friday travel from Home to/from College during term time. The College subsidises the cost of the bus pass and asks for a contribution of £480 for the year (works out as £14 per week), which can be paid in full or spread over four payments. You may be able to apply for financial help from college toward this cost, meaning that the pass could be free, if you are living in a low income household or are experiencing financial hardship. If you are a part time student or apprentice, please contact us to discuss the options available.

For more information see: www.kendal.ac.uk/transport

What Part-Time courses do you run?

We run a wide range of part-time courses, with daytime and evening options. Many courses will be starting again in January and February so please see our website for information: www.kendal.ac.uk/courses/part-time

Is Kendal College a good choice if I want to go to University?

Recently rated as one of the top Colleges in the country by FE Weekly, Kendal College prides itself on having high levels of student satisfaction and strong links with local employers. We offer a wide range of A-levels and Extended Diplomas, which can provide you with up to 168 UCAS points, enabling you to progress onto university. Extended Diplomas combine practical learning & training with academic study and can be a good choice if you know the career you would like to progress onto. Our tutors are very experienced in supporting students to complete UCAS applications and personal statements.

What Degree Level courses do you offer?

We have more than 25 years’ experience of delivering high quality degree level qualifications including HNC/HNDs, Foundation Degrees and BA (Hons). For example, we offer BA (Hons) Children, Schools & Families, which enables progression onto primary teaching and social work. For more information see: www.kendal.ac.uk/higher-education

What does Kendal College offer and how are you different from other places?

We offer a wide variety of courses to choose from:

* Professional & Technical Courses. These are great if you have a specific career in mind, as the skills and subjects you learn relate directly to your chosen industry. The Level 3 Extended Diploma courses are equivalent to 3 A levels. These courses combine practical learning and training with academic study.

* A levels, we offer 22 subjects. There is the option of studying 3-4 subjects as a full time package, or to ‘Add-On’ an A level to a full-time Professional & Technical course.

* Apprenticeships. We work with over 1,000 employers to offer apprenticeships in a wide range of areas. Apprenticeships are jobs with training so you earn a wage at the same time as gaining industry experience and recognised qualifications.

* Degree Level Study. We offer a choice of both part-time and full-time study courses, taught by highly skilled teaching staff with first-hand professional experience of their field. We offer everything from Engineering to Fashion Design to Hospitality Management.

Over the last two years, £4.7 million has been invested into our facilities, including a new Engineering, Science and A Level Centre, Animal Rescue Centre and Art & Design Studios. Our tutors have worked in the industry and support students to progress into employment or onto higher levels of learning. College is an adult environment, tutors are called by their first name and there are no bells to signal the end of class.

I'm an adult, can I do a full time course or apprenticeship?

Yes! College is an adult environment and we have students on our courses from 16 to 65 years old and everywhere in-between! Apprenticeship training continues to be free for all ages (the only exception may be if you have already gained government funding by completing a degree – please contact us for information).

How long are full time courses, how many days per week and what times in the day?

Level 2 full-time courses are 1 year in duration and Level 3 are 2 years. Some courses involve days in college and days in placements (such as Childhood Studies). You will be required to attend College between 3-5 days per week depending on which course you choose to study. Students often travel a long distance to come to us, so we try and condense timetables into 3-4 days a week where possible. This means you have longer days but don’t have to come into college every day. In general, lessons will commence at 9am and finish between 4-5pm. However, this can vary and depend on the programme of study. For example, Hospitality students can finish at 9pm or later if there is an evening service in the restaurant.

Is there any help for people with learning difficulties?

Yes, Kendal College has a dedicated Learning Services Team. You will meet a member of this team when you attend your interview and an assessment of your additional needs will be made. This support will be available as soon as you commence your course.

Can I do more then one full time course?

Timetabled hours do not include sufficient spare time to study 2 or more full-time courses at the same time. However, you may be able to study a full-time course and a part time course e.g. Engineering and A Level Maths. This can be discussed with your tutor at interview.

Can I study a Part-Time course and still get a diploma qualification?

This can depend on the subject you would like to study. For example, we are able to offer a part time Beauty Specialist Techniques Level 2 Diploma course and also a Level 3 Children’s Learning & Development Diploma or alternatively, a Level 3 Diploma in Professional Cookery. Most of our full time courses vary from 3-5 days per week, so can often be combined with employment and other commitments. 

Should I do A-Levels or a Professional and Technical Qualification?

You will need to consider both options fully and decide which is best for you. A-levels are academic qualifications where you would choose a number of different academic subjects to study for two years. These subjects are mainly taught in a classroom and exams are the main mode of assessment. The technical equivalent, such as BTEC, UAL and NVQ qualifications combine practical training with academic study and are good if you know the career area you would like to progress onto e.g. Childhood Studies, Engineering, Sports, Business etc. Assessment is varied and takes place throughout the year.

We are able to offer a programme of study, which combines a technical course plus the addition of an appropriate A-level. For example, you may choose to study a BTEC Diploma in Business and add A-level Law.

When deciding which qualification to study, think about:

• What types of career are you aiming for?

• What do you need to get there?

• How you learn best e.g. through academic work, practical hand-on experience, or a mixture of the two?

• What kind of assessment suits you e.g. exams, assignments and/or practical work?

If I choose to attend a full-time technical course, am I limiting my options in the future? 

Although you choose one career area to study, this will involve a lot of different subjects and can lead onto a very broad range of employment and degree options. For example, our Forensic & Criminal Investigation full-time course includes subjects such as Photography, Biology, Psychology and Criminology. Many university courses want UCAS points, rather than specific subjects, as they mainly want to know you can work at a certain academic level (check entry requirements at www.ucas.ac.uk). As these courses include practical learning, students develop a range of transferable skills for future employment.

When do I need to apply?

You need to apply for courses as soon as possible. Full-time courses are FREE if you are aged 16-18 years of age. Financial support may also be available to adult students – please contact Student Services for information (01539 814700/ enquiries@kendal.ac.uk).

Are students allowed to go out lunchtime?

Yes, students are allowed to leave College at lunchtime. College is an adult environment and it is your responsibility to attend your classes on time.

Are students allowed to have dyed hair or piercings?

Yes, this is not a problem. Students are encouraged to be individuals and develop maturity and self-confidence. Hair may need to be tied back and some piercings may need to be removed for your own safety (this will depend on what course you are doing and what equipment is to be used).

Would Kendal College help me find a job when I complete my course?

Yes, there is a wide range of support throughout the College to help students to progress once they have completed their programme of study. This can either be into employment or an apprenticeship. Some students will apply to university to extend their knowledge and skills before they seek employment. Work placement will be part of your study programme and many of our students have gained jobs through this experience. The Learning Centre runs workshops and offers students 1-to-1 support to write CVs, UCAS application forms and prepare for interviews. Our professional and technical qualifications combine practical skills with academic learning, giving you practical skills which are highly valued by employers.



What's an apprenticeship and how can you support me to get a job?

Key benefits of being an apprentice include; earning a salary, getting paid holidays, receiving training, gaining qualifications and learning job-specific skills. There are various levels of Apprenticeship you can undertake depending on your qualifications: Intermediate (Level 2), Advanced (Level 3), Higher (Level 4 or above). Before you can start an Apprenticeship programme, you must have a contract of full-time employment. Don’t worry if you haven’t secured employment yet, you can still apply. At your interview the tutors will discuss opportunities available and will give you information and advice on how to find a job. Previous apprentices have produced an ‘Apprenticeship Guide’ with lots of practical tips on how to choose and find an apprenticeship. This can be downloaded from: www.kendal.ac.uk/apprenticeships


Career Specific Questions

I want to train as a Veterinary Nurse, what course would be best?

Students who successfully complete our Level 3 Animal Management (entry requirements are 5 x GCSEs at Grade 4 or above including Maths, English & Science or a Level 2 Diploma in Animal Care) course can progress to a higher level of study including Veterinary Nursing.

I want to join the Police Force, what course would I need to apply for at Kendal College?

There aren’t any formal entry requirements for the police force, but you will have to pass written tests and be physically and mentally able to undertake police duties. As such, you could choose any college course, as all will develop your written and communication skills. The most relevant courses are our level 3 Extended Diplomas (A-level equivalent) in: * Forensic and Criminal Investigation * Sport, Fitness and Development * Health & Social Care In addition, volunteering is a great way to boost your experience. You could become a Police Cadet (see: www.nationalvpc.org ) and a Special Constable when you’re 18 (see: www.policespecials.com v). Any volunteering working and supporting people would give you good experience to boost your job application in the future. See www.do-it.org.uk to find opportunities near you.

How do I get into set design for films and TV shows?

We are able to offer a full time Theatre and Event Technology course. This covers sound operation, lighting operation and set design & construction. This is an excellent course for those who wish to work in the entertainment industry.

How do I get to train as a Sports Physio?

To qualify as a Sports Physiotherapist you will need to gain a Degree in Physiotherapy, which is approved by the Health and Care Professionals Council along with 1 or 2 years’ work experience as a general physiotherapist and a good understanding of sports training methods. In addition to academic qualifications you will also need excellent communication skills, the ability to educate advise and motivate people and good organizational and administration skills. You can find out more information about this career pathway via various website such as: https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk

To get onto a physiotherapy degree course you usually need two or three A levels, including a Biological Science and/or PE, along with five GCSEs (grades A-C), including English Language, Maths and at least one Science. We offer 22 A level subjects, including all Sciences and Sport. It may also be an option to study full-time Sport, Fitness and Development (equivalent to 3 A levels) with an Add-on Biology A level. You can research the entry requirements for degree courses by going to www.ucas.com

Could I train to be a Midwife after College?

Yes. Previous students who have successfully completed the Health and Social Care Extended Diploma or A levels have then applied to university for Midwifery or Nursing.

How do I get into teaching?

There are a lot of options – to explore these please see: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/ If you want to be a primary teacher, we offer a BA (Hons) in Children, Schools & Families which can lead onto a primary PGCE. If you want to teach at a secondary school or college, you will need to complete at least a Level 3 course in the subject you want to teach.

I want to train as a Children's Nurse, what would be the best course for me to apply for?

Nurse training is university based and child nursing involves everything from nursing a sick newborn to an adolescent road accident victim. You will also need to consider the care and support needed by the wider family, which can include parents and carers. Children have very specific health needs and you will need to understand how a healthy child develops towards adulthood to minimize the impact of illness. It is also important to learn how to communicate effectively both with a child and the adults who are caring for them. This is because a child may not be able to express their feelings or the severity of their pain, you will need to be able to interpret a child’s behavior and their reactions. Initially, you will need to achieve a minimum of 5 x GCSE’s , which must include good grades for English and Science. In addition, you will then need to gain 3 x A levels or an equivalent qualification, such as an Extended Diploma in Children’s Play, Learning and Development or Health and Social Care. Extended Diploma’s enable you to combine academic learning with work experience. Kendal College offers both A levels and Extended Diplomas. It may be possible for you to complete both the Extended Diploma and an A level such as Psychology, at the same time. You can find out more information via The Nursing and Midwifery Council website: www.nmc-uk.org or The Royal College of Nursing: www.rcn.org.uk

Any other questions?

We have a team of trained Student Advisors who can help:

Telephone: 01539 814700

Email: enquiries@kendal.ac.uk

Or please come and see us. We are open Mon-Fri, 8.30am-5pm (except Fri, 4.30pm) and are based at Milnthorpe Road, LA9 5AY.